Gathering for Worship
Harris YMCA’s Cato Airnasium (Sara Harris Bissell Pavilion)
5900 Quail Hollow Road, Charlotte, NC 28210
A Sunday Morning Guide for KOK
What should I wear? Dress comfortably and “come as you are.” The pavilion provides consistent shade and good air circulation.
When Should I Arrive? Early! Check-in begins at 9:30 a.m. and our welcome table folks will be ready for you.
I hear it’s BYO stuff. Can you be more specific? Essentials include your own chairs/seating, masks, and hand sanitizer.
Tell me about check-in. It begins at 9:30 a.m. Our Welcome/Check-In Table is located just outside the entrance to the pavilion. Each person will receive a temperature check and will be asked a few COVID-related questions (detailed in the next section). If you have a fever of 100.4 or higher, we will not be able to allow you into the pavilion because of health risks to others. We advise waiting in the shade or in your car before checking in so the summer heat will not skew the temperature results. Once you’ve checked in, you can enter the pavilion, claim a space, and get comfy. Please note: face masks are required for check-in and are optional once you enter the pavilion.
Are there health concerns that should keep me from coming to church? Yes. Please remain at home, if
- you’ve been in contact with someone who has COVID-19
- you’ve been experiencing cough, shortness of breath or sore throat
- you’ve had a fever in the last 48 hours
- you have a new loss of taste or smell
- you’ve had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours
- someone in your household is awaiting tests results for COVID-19
What will the worship service look like? We will have an abbreviated Communion service that will last a little more than one hour. We will be live-streaming on Facebook Live for those who aren’t able to attend.
What are we doing for Children’s Ministry? We are excited to offer outdoor Sunday School (Godly Play) for our children ages 3 through 11. (We are currently unable to offer childcare for children under age 3). We will help the children social distance by using carpet squares to designate seats and keeping multiple adults in the periphery of the circle. Since we will be meeting outdoors, please take these two actions for each of your children-
- Bring water for your child to access before and after our Godly Play gathering. (Please do not send water with them.)
- Put sunscreen on your child before service begins, just in case!
Are there other safety guidelines? Yes, and they’re quite important. We’re committed to gathering together in a safe manner, which means satisfying the various state, diocesan and YMCA guidelines that govern our Sunday services. Think of the guidelines as a common rule of life that we’re committing ourselves to as a spiritual community; they are part of our liturgy (“work of the people”) for the time being. While certainly more complicated, we believe that gathering together in person in worship as the people of God is worth the extra effort and time.
- Do I need to wear a mask? For check-in, 100% yes. After that, it’s up to you since it’s an outdoor environment.
- Are we practicing social distancing? Absolutely - before, during, and after service. Unless you’re “quaran-teaming” with other households, please make every effort to practice social distancing.
- Do I really need to bring hand sanitizer and worry about hand washing? Yes. While we will provide hand sanitizer in certain locations, you should still plan to bring your own.
- Please tell me we have access to bathroom facilities! Yes! The YMCA bathroom facilities will be cleaned and sanitized before our services.